It's no secret that I like to see new things. I especially like to see new things with my kids and I love this nation that we live in and all the history there is here. This year for our vacation we decided to take the kids to see Mt. Rushmore. Since it is such a long drive, we knew we would be able to see many sights along the way. We planned out our trip and then realized that we had packed too much into it so we cut out a state and some sights and narrowed it down more. Then it felt manageable to us and we shared with the kids where we would be going. I admit that a few of them said "What? That sounds boring". Maybe so. There is this blog that I read (71toes.blogspot.com) and one of her posts was about these reports that her kids did about the places they were going to visit before a trip that they took. I thought it was such a great idea that I presented it to the kids and they said okay. So they each picked two places out of the ones we would go to and researched them, printed off pictures of them, and either wrote a report or made a poster and we shared them at FHE the week before we left. I think it gave them ownership on the vacation and they were able to be invested in the experience more.
First state to visit: Wyoming
| Wyoming State Capitol |
| Martin's Cove |
| Independence Rock....which looks more like a big cowpie, but oh well |
| Devil's Tower |
| playing on the rocks at the bottom |
| Second state to visit: South Dakota |
| Hall of Flags at Mt. Rushmore |
| Crazy Horse Monument |
| This is the model of what it will look like someday with the real one in the background |
| Third state to visit: Nebraska |
| Mike and I at Chimney Rock |
| We stayed the night in Sidney, Nebraska and our Sidney thought it was pretty neat that there were signs everywhere with her name on them! |
| Fourth state to visit: Colorado |
| Denver Colorado LDS Temple |
| Colorado State Capitol |





No comments:
Post a Comment