January 3, 2008

Sucks Stinks to be YOU!


Today sucked stunk just a little bit for Meghan. Look to the right and you can see why. This morning at breakfast I noticed that above her lip was a little red, but since she has a cold and has been wiping her nose like crazy, I just chalked it up to chapped skin.
Well, after school she hopped in the car and I said, "Holy crap!". I grabbed her face and took a closer look and sure enough....she's got a killer cold sore. This is the biggest one she had ever had. It is the whole left side above her lip. Poor thing. I asked her, "Didn't anyone say anything to you about this today"?
Apparently, no one had enough guts to ask her "what the heck is that?"
So, we are slathering Zovirax on it like crazy, but I am betting she will have it for a good 2 weeks or so.
On another note....she and I had the puberty talk tonight. Yah, double whammy, huh? Anyway, it went better than I thought it would. She took it all in stride and didn't get freaked out by any of it. I guess now I need to prepare for the "sex talk". That one might just freak ME out!

5 comments:

Misty said...

Um.... the "sex talk" is going to oober kill me. I can't even imagine. My Hannah, who is 7 and 1/2 gets horrible cold/herpes sores, too. So sorry for your daughter....... That's so rough!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I'm lucking out on the "sex talk". We have boys so my husand gets to do it!!! Yippee. My little one gets really chapped cheeks and lips instead of the cold sores. But none of it is fun.

Cecily R said...

Gracie gets cold sores like that and they aren't pretty. She was given that lovely virus from ME when she was a baby. I still feel horribly guilty about it. By the way, it sounds weird, but drying them out with a little bleach on a cotton ball every once in a while works too.

As for the sex talk, that day with my girls scares me. I don't wanna!! Jon gets Isaac.

Anonymous said...

ugh, yeah I didn't like doing the sex talk with my oldest -- we just did a few months ago. I was expecting a heap of questions. But he didn't have too many and didn't freak out. The anticipation is worse the the talk I think!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh ouch! Is this her first one? The first one is usually the worst.

Put Neosporin on it and give her lysine supplements. Have her take lysine whenever she gets that itchy-tingle feeling that one is starting, and it usually will keep them from completely breaking out. For me, it shortens the length of it. Fish oil & omega 3's might help too.