January 24, 2008

The "Word Jail"

In an effort to curb the use of some words at our home, I copied the idea to have a "word jail" from someone that gave a Relief Society lesson once. So, for the last year or so, we have had a Word Jail at our house. It works like this:



Words that should not be used by children (or any of us, for that matter) are written down and that places them in the word jail. If the offending word is then said, a fine is charged.



My Thursday Thirteen for today are the words in our Word Jail----

1. Dumb

2. Stupid

3. But

4. Shut-up

5. Hate

6. Enemy

7. Kill

8. No- as in "No, I won't do what you say". I'm not THAT mean. My kids ARE still allowed to answer "yes or no" questions with the word "no".

9. The "A" word

10. The "S" word

11. The "F" word

12. Hell

13. FAT



Some words just shouldn't be said, right? (I hope you all know to what word I am referring)

4 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

That's a good list. I especially like #13! Being that my husband is from England, he has always had a hard time with "damn" and "hell" being considered bad words. (They aren't in England or Australia.) So, J saw something one day and said, "What the hell is that?" It was funny, but we realized it really didn't sound good coming out of a child's mouth. So now, only the grown-ups are allowed to say it. (Although, I should clarify that we DO work at not saying it!) We're kind of strange, I know.

Ally said...

Sadly, I do know, though I wish I didn't.

Great idea about the word jail!

pussreboots said...

Interesting approach. Happy TT.

Her Royal Highness said...

And, how is the word jail going? When you say that there's a fine for the offender, who gets the money? Does the money go into a jar? Is it divided up among the non-offenders?

In our house if you say one of those words then you have one warning & then you get your pick of liquid or bar soap. Yeah - it works GREAT!