November 8, 2007

Do my kids watch too much Disney Channel?



So here are some examples to back up this thought provoking question...

1) Jonathan thinks his dad travels to "Hannah Montana". I thought this one was pretty funny considering that she is a person and Montana is just a state in the union. Apparently I was wrong to see how kids could confuse the two.

2) I was talking to my kids about who we needed to buy Christmas presents for and I said that we need to buy for Emily still. I meant Emily, their cousin, but Jonathan said, "Emily Yeoung"? Um no, that would be the girl from Disney Channel that asks all the questions.

3) I see Mickey Mouse ears and my kids see "toodles". Oh mercy!

4) My oldest daughter said to me the other day,"but mom, Sharpay says..." me:"Um, you do get that Sharpay is a character on a movie, right???"

My dilemma is this...do I let them continue to be led astray by the Disney channel or do I correct them and then limit their television consumption thereby taking away any or all of my free time? It is a problem, isn't it? At least they are watching Disney and not VH1. I mean they could know all of my Britney Spears' dance moves instead of just the kid show line-up. So, I think I am safe. Ha ha. See how I did that? I just justified it. I am so good. It sounds right now doesn't it? Yippy for me!!

6 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

You're funny. Justify away...

We watch too much Discovey Channel at our house. We talk about Adam and Jamie (Mythbusters), Bear (Man Vs. Wild) and Les (Survivorman) like they're family members. My oldest made himself a spear today so that he could go spear fishing... I suppose that is better than Britney's dance moves though...

Leah said...

I sometimes wonder the same thing. My son wants Disney Channel hair!

I have to admit that I enjoy Hannah Montana and The Suite Life myself.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh Toooodles....

LOL. My kids rarely watch Disney, (at our house its Noggin) but my niece & nephew watch it all the time.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I have something on my blog for you. Check it out.

Keeley said...

Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about. =Þ What the heck are toodles and sharpay? My husband and I have blocked Disney since ...uh...my gosh, maybe 2001?

I think it was Sister Sister that sent us screaming over the edge. =D We totally got rid of cable for a while but missed Fox News and the Discovery Channel and wotnot so we got it back but blocked all the channels that made us gag. =Þ

Now we just have Nickelodeon. Anyone here watch Avatar? =)

Laura said...

I feel the same way, but we don't have the Disney channel, but Emma is in LOVE with Cinderella right now. She calls it "selllllaaa" Lots of L's it is so cute! How can I resist! :)