July 25, 2008

Wouldn't it be Loverly?

We introduced the kids to My Fair Lady last week on our way to Idaho. I had borrowed the soundtrack from the Broadway version (starring Julie Andrews) from the library and we listened to it in the car. They loved it! Especially Meghan, but then again, Mike and I are convinced that she has selective listening unless what you are saying is actually being sung. Seriously.

So last night, Mike didn't feel like finishing mowing the lawn, and so we went downstairs to our very cool basement and put in the video of My Fair Lady (starring Audrey Hepburn) that I had also borrowed from the library. Now let me preface this next comment by saying that I LOVE MUSICALS. I do. From Oklahoma to the Sound of Music to South Pacific. I am a musical lover. And this movie has by far been one of my favs my whole life also.

BUT....

After hearing Julie Andrews be Eliza Doolittle and sing all the songs....I am convinced that the movie producers of 1964 made a HUGE mistake when they didn't cast her to play the movie version of the Broadway show that she totally ROCKED in. Dipwods anyway. She was superb and I would take that any day over Audrey lipsyncing the songs. Really.

The best part of watching this with the kids though has been their reactions. Well, not even so much as their reactions as to hearing them sing the songs all week long. Even Jonathan was singing "Wouldn't it be Loverly" this morning. And to top it all off.... Rachel is our resident policeman-she is always telling everyone what they are doing wrong- she informed me this morning that "they said Damn on the movie 10 times Mom!" *sigh* I only counted 8 times. Guess I was wrong.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I like My Fair Lady... I wonder if my kids would like it? I'll have to think about showing it to them :)

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I love musicals and my husband hates them. Other than the Liken films, I think the only "musicals" my kids have seen are Newsies and the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They love them!