August 15, 2008

blue ribbon worthy

This is for Meghan. Remember her Giant cabbage that she has been growing since April? Well, Mike had to go out of town and I had him dig it and trim it down for me before he left so that I wouldn't have to do it. It was HUGE and I was sure it would be heavy. I knew that I would have a hard enough time just getting it down to the Fairgrounds and into the exhibit building as well as tote a baby and a preschooler. Anyway, Mike put it down in our food storage room and I thought it would be fine. Really it was only down there for 3 days.
And Tuesday afternoon this is what I found. It was all yellow and starting to mold and just smelled NASTY. So, we couldn't take it to the fair.

Which is a bummer because I bet that she would've won a blue ribbon. Just in case you were wondering, it weighed 22.5 pounds. It was 13 inches in diameter, and 8 inches tall. It was very BIG!

Congrats Meghan!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh rats! That's too bad :( At least she was able to keep hers alive and get it to be that big! You're right - that is blue ribbon worthy!!

Her Royal Highness said...

Wow!!! That is one big cabbage!!!
Maybe next year, eh?

Pezlady Jana said...

Actually, we already decided that next year my girls will do some sort of sewing project. They have literally been begging me to teach them to sew, so we'll do that instead. I have to say though...there were no other cabbages submitted to our fair (really, it is slim pickings anyway-not much submitted AT ALL), so even her crappy cabbage would've won!